20 Hours of Volunteer Work Required for Graduation
COMMUNITY SERVICE GUIDELINES
Community Service should be the keystone of an educated citizenry. The purpose of the community service is to provide students with an opportunity to give back to the community that has fostered their growth thus far.
GRADUATION REQUIREMENT: Students must complete twenty  hours of community service by the end of the third quarter their senior year. This includes students enrolled in the regular high school program as well as alternate education programs.
Ten  hours may be accumulated by participation in school related projects. The remaining ten  hours must be completed in non-school volunteer activities with a non-profit organization.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES:
- Students cannot receive pay for community service hours
- Relatives cannot serve as site supervisors
- Babysitting, house sitting, yard work and caring for family members and pets are not allowable community service hours
- Participation in high school athletic programs, including manager, does not count as community service
- Volunteering at “for profit” orgranizations in not allowed. Please see your counselor if you are unsure of an organization’s status
- Community Service required for course credit is not allowable. However, community service hours above and beyond those required for credit are allowable.
ACCEPTABLE COMMUNITY SERVICE ACTIVITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Volunteering at a healthcare facility
- Volunteering at a non profit day care facility
- Volunteering at religious events, such as church sponsored fundraising events, church community clean ups, altar serving, choir, ushering
- Volunteering at political activities validated by the Republican and Democratic Committees
- Volunteering at any non profit organization [as noted by IRS 501c(3) designation]
- Volunteering for your school, class, athletic program, for example: car wash fundraising, etc. - NOT TO EXCEED TEN  HOURS
STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO KEEP THEIR OWN RECORDS OF COMMUNITY SERVICE AND SUBMIT A COPY TO THEIR SCHOOL COUNSELOR
Seniors: your community service is due by the end of third term!
Forms can also be picked up in the Counseling Office. Return the form to your school counselor
Community Service Scholarship
A Community Service Scholarship is available in the Guidance Office for seniors. Any senior who has completed 100 hours above their graduation requirement should fill out an application. Students with a GPA of 2.5 or better can apply for a $500 scholarship and students with a GPA of 3.45 or better can apply for a $1000 scholarship. See Mrs. Clementel for the application.