Requirements for Promotion & Graduation
Requirements for Promotion
To enroll in the ninth grade at Maloney or Platt High School, a student must have passed eighth grade. To be promoted to Grade 10, a student must have passed 5.25 units. To be promoted to Grade 11, a student must have passed 10.25 units. To be promoted to Grade 12, a student must have passed 15.25 units. A student needs 22.25 units to graduate. Students graduating in 2015 and later must pass 6.0 units to be promoted to grade 10. To be promoted to Grade 11, a student must have passed 12 units. To be promoted to Grade 12, a student must have passed 16.0 units. A student must earn 23.25 units to graduate.
Requirements for Graduation
Each student must successfully complete the following requirements for graduation as established by the Meriden Board of Education:
- 4 years of English (English 9, 10, 11, 12) - 4 Units
- 3 years of Mathematics - 3 Units
- 3 years of Social Studies (must include Civics and U. S. History) - 3 Units
- 2 years of Science (one must be in Biology) - 3 Units
- 1 year of the Arts or Vocational Education - 1 Unit
- 1 year of Business or Computer Education - 1 Unit
- 3 years of Physical Education - 1 ½ Units
- 1 year of Health Education - ½ Unit
- Community Service - ¼ Unit
- Electives - 6 Units
Total Required for Graduation: 23 ¼ Units
Computer courses cannot be used to satisfy mathematics graduation requirements
Courses in art, music or theater qualify for the Arts requirement.
Selected offerings in the Vocational Education, Technology Education and Family and Consumer Science Departments meet the Vocational Education requirement.
Computer education requirement can be fulfilled by any course that uses computers as a primary means of instruction.